Thursday 6 February 2014

an event that has shaped my life...

From what I can remember, I have been volunteering since the age of 11. I started volunteering just like any Singaporean under the school's compulsory "Community Involvement Programme" (CIP).
Without having a real purpose in mind, I did volunteering because I had to. From picking up litter at Sungai Buloh Wetlands Reserve to clearing out weeds at Alexandra Hospital, I have always thought that volunteering was just limited to these activities. Even though I did not mind doing so, but I never really felt the joy of volunteering.

My views and attitude towards volunteering slowly changed over the years, but there was one particularly incident that changed my attitude towards volunteering.

I was assigned to the beneficiary, Movement for the Intellectually Disabled of Singapore (MINDS), during my term in Interact Club in Junior College. I was not sure of what to expect or how to communicate with this group of people as it was my first time.
When I visited the centre for the first time I was warmly greeted with smiles and cheers. Although it was the first meeting, the clients were filled with enthusiasm and joy with our presence. I was surprised that they were able to interact with strangers with such ease even though they had difficulties expressing themselves through speech. We visited them on a weekly basis, and they never failed to make my week better. Their optimistic spirit taught me to be more appreciative of those around me and to live every day courageously. It was their attitude towards living that motivated me to continue serving the community and to encourage people around me to do the same.



(273 words)

6 comments:

  1. Hi Yuen Han !

    It's awesome that you're volunteering on a regular basis ! I've been to MINDS when I was in JC too ! Went there to perform and play with them hahah. I agree that they're very happy people even though they might have a slightly harder time understanding what we say or expressing themselves verbally. It's like their world is so simple and carefree we felt less stressful when we interacted with them (:

    By the way, for this sentence "...so, but I never really felt the joy of volunteering", I think "...so, I've never" might be better ?
    Also, "I was not sure of what to expect or how to communicate with this group of people as it was my first time." maybe adding "interacting with them" too ? Plus "I was not sure what to expect", without the "of" too hehe. The rest is fine ! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Yupp, it felt really good to interact with them, it's like you know they will appreciate you no matter who you are heh :)

      Delete
  2. Hello, Yuen Han!
    I was happy that I found someone who has a passion at volunteering as some of my friends are less interested in it. I was impressed by your full commitment and attitude towards serving to the community.
    I enjoyed reading your post and I think there is not much mistakes in your post. However, I think for the last sentence" It was their attitude towards living that motivated me to continue serving the community and to encourage people..." >>> "It was their attitude towards living that motivated me to continue serving the community and encouraging people.."
    Will it better? :)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay~ we can go volunteering together sometimes *hint hint* :)
      Thanks for your comments too!

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Yuen Han, for this heart-felt post. You document your volunteer experience very appropriately, demonstrating your growth in the process. I appreciate the sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you too for taking the time to read all our posts:)

      Delete