Thursday 17 April 2014

Critical Reflections

Since I was younger, I have never scored well in my languages. Although people always say that they are able to express their ideas freely through writing, thus the many creative writing programs in our syllabus in primary education, yet, to me writing was as restrictive as there were many rules to follow such as grammar, subject verb agreement, and tenses etc. This just made me dislike languages even more.

Initially, I dreaded taking the ES1102 module, as I thought that this module was probably similar to General Paper lesson I had in junior college, which generalises students’ way of writing and forces a systematic structure onto every student. However, I was wrong.
ES1102 took on a very different approach of teaching the English language using different mediums such as blogs, small discussion groups, and Facebook and Ted videos. Apart from these, what took me by surprise was that this module did not force a systematic structure of writing, but rather we were given general guidelines and were free to write in our own styles. This made it more significant when I was able to review my peers’ writing, making it more relatable as a student.

Moreover, with useful parts of the module such as the presentation of the essay has allowed me to see strengths and areas for improvement for myself and my peers. This chance has definitely validated certain things I do, and improve of my areas of weaknesses.

Even though the course is coming to an end, the learning does not stop here. ES1102 has provided me with relevant resources and materials to improve myself further, and I will use them to help me in the future.

P.S.

Thanks Brad for the kind guidance and effort~

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Yuen Han, for your effort with this brief reflection. You do a good job of focusing on what you thought about writing before taking the course and where you are now. I'm glad that skills learned in the course are useful for you.

    Referencing Gibb's model of a critical reflection, you might have explained what you feel you need to do better in the future. You might have even mentioned an action plan.

    In any case, all the best as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete